Level 6 Diploma in Dance Pedagogy
The Level 6 Diploma in Dance Pedagogy (DDP) is a dance teaching qualification regulated by Ofqual. The qualification provides experienced dance teachers and professional dancers with a programme that builds on your previous training, knowledge and experience. It will take your teaching to the next level and enhance your current dance skills.
The Diploma in Dance Pedagogy is delivered through lecture-based seminars and practical dance intensives at our London-based ISTD2 studios, with mentor support from experienced practitioners between taught sessions. Most modules are available via distance learning, enabling you to study anywhere in the world, at your own pace and around existing commitments. Practical units are delivered in intensive study blocks during UK holiday periods. Core units include:
- Planning and Evaluating Programmes of Learning
- The Practice of Teaching Dance and
- Reflective Practice.
These units are studied simultaneously and allow you opportunities to develop and refine your teaching practice and explore teaching and learning theories in relation to your chosen genre.
Optional units offer you the freedom to devise a tailor made study programme which caters for your personalised teaching interests. These include three non-syllabus practical units:
- Teaching Classical Ballet Technique
- Teaching Dance in Musical Theatre or
- Teaching Dance in Education and Community Settings
- Applied Dance Science
- Social and Emotional Development
- Choreography or
- Action Research
The DDP is regulated at Level 6 which is equivalent to the final year of an undergraduate degree. The qualification also fully covers the requirements of the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DET), enabling graduates to apply for Qualified Teacher status (QTLS).
On completion of this qualification you can:
- Apply for Qualified Teaching and Learning Skills Status (QTLS)
- Progress onto the ISTD Fellowship, ISTD’s highest teaching qualification and eventually apply to become an ISTD examiner
- Apply for BA and MA courses offered in partnership with Middlesex University
This is a truly flexible programme with options to:
- Enrol to complete the full course (2 years part time)
- Enrol for individual units to suit your existing commitments and work at your own pace. The full qualification must be completed within 5 years of initial enrolment.
Please note: This qualification has undergone significant changes. Please download the prospectus for full information about the revised qualification.
The next programme will start in April 2017. Applications open on 7th November 2016.
If you do not fulfil the entry requirements for ISTD Level 6 Diploma in Dance Pedagogy but feel you have the required knowledge or experience, you can apply for APEL to access this qualification. The Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) scheme takes account of your professional experience and unregulated qualifications to enable you to by-pass the usual requirements for ISTD Level 6 Diploma in Dance Pedagogy qualifications.
To request an application form, or for further information, please contact: email@example.com or call 02073771577
Glossary of terms
Are you baffled by all the acronyms used? Please click here for more information.