New DanceUKTV brings digital audiences to the National Choreographers’ Conference online
24 June 2013
Dance UK has launched a new digital platform www.danceuktv.com to bring conferences, events, training resources and performance films to dance professionals working nationally and internationally.
The new online channel has gone live with FREE high quality films of the speakers presenting at the National Choreographers Conference: Choreography and Collaboration, which was attended by over 150 choreographers at Sadler’s Wells in May 2013.
www.danceuktv.com has been made possible by Dance UK collaborating with GroDigital, (www.grodigital.com), a specialist video and web agency which makes online video work for businesses, including addressing how arts organisations can deliver training and education online.
The Dance UK National Choreographers Conference was a hugely popular event, designed and organised by choreographers working in all areas of the industry to break down barriers and stimulate artistic debate. The speakers reflected the myriad of work opportunities open to the profession, from Lucie Pankhurst talking about choreographing for television to Javier de Frutos and theatre director Rufus Norris discussing how they collaborate. Holly Noble and Jane Coulston of the Female Choreographers Collective discussed the status of female choreographers with Charlotte Vincent, which is a current hot topic. Dance UKTV enables audiences who could not attend this one day event due to work commitments, geography or financial constraints to join in the debate.
FREE National Choreographers Conference videos on www.danceuktv.com include:
- Choreographer Kim Gavin, Artistic Director of the London 2012 Closing Ceremony and the Paralympic Opening Ceremony
- A celebration of choreography in the Olympic Ceremonies: a panel discussion with Temujin Gill and Sunanda Biswas, who co-choreographed the Olympic Opening Ceremony NHS sequence.
- Javier de Frutos and Rufus Norris discuss how they collaborate
- Robert Cohan interviewed by Paul Jackson
- Choreographer/Movement Director and film maker Francesca Jaynes (whose work includes choreographing for films by Tim Burton, Steven Spielberg, Mike Leigh, Ron Howard and many others) in conversation with theatre director Peter Rowe.
- Jonathan Goddard and Malgorzata Dzierzon from The New Movement Collective, discussing their collaboration with architects.
- Dr Joan Duda, Professor of Sports Psychology Department, University of Birmingham, on how choreographers can create a positive creative environment when working with dancers.
- Lou Rogers and Lucy Bennett of StopGap Dance Company discuss integrated dance choreography for dancers with and without disabilities.
- Holly Noble & Jane Coulston of the Female Choreographers Collective speak with Charlotte Vincent about the profile and environment for female choreographers.
- Lucie Pankhurst – Choreographer and Movement Director on collaboration in television.
- Lu Kemp talks about the collaboration between choreographer and dramaturg.
Training resources on www.danceuktv.com
www.danceuktv.com looks to the future health of the industry by including new video and written resources to help dance artists hone their business skills and raise funds for their artistic projects.
A 40 minute online training seminar on how to fundraise is available delivered by former dancer and now successful independent dance manager Sarah Shead.
To give artists practical examples of their peers who have successfully fundraised the site includes videos of dance artists Malgorzata Dzierzon and Hakeem Onibudo talking about their experience of fundraising.
There are also FREE downloadable written resources including:
- Fundraising for artistic projects
- How to manage your money
- Nutrition and touring
- Business planning and setting up a company
- Plus Youth Dance England’s fundraising toolkit
Dance UK will be regularly adding new content to the website, including an open platform for Dance UK members to host their performance videos.