Head of UK Examinations
The ISTD is one of the world's leading dance examination boards, encompassing a diverse range of dance genres. The UK Examinations Department organises over 4500 days of exams annually, working with dance teachers across our 11 Faculties.
We are now seeking a Head of UK Examinations to lead on the delivery of an efficient and effective examinations service to Members throughout the UK. This is a senior management position which contributes to the development and delivery of the ISTD’s long-term strategy.
The successful candidate will have substantial staff management experience, coupled with excellent interpersonal skills and a proven interest in dance/arts.
Responsible to: Artistic Director
Main Purpose of Job: To manage the UK Examinations Department to ensure excellent service delivery to Members and their examinations entrants.
Areas of Responsibility
- Lead, manage and motivate the United Kingdom Examinations Department in order to deliver an effective and efficient examinations service to Members in the UK, achieving continuous improvement for the organisation.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, offer active participation and involvement in the development and execution of the overall ISTD and Faculty Management Strategy, contribute to the delivery of the ISTD Corporate Plan, and ensure that reports are provided to relevant committees as requested.
- Ensure a co-ordinated approach to examination planning in order to ensure that all resources are used effectively and efficiently to meet the needs of the organisation, faculties and the Membership.
- Provide support, out of hours if necessary, to examiners, ensuring that any difficulties notified are resolved quickly, appropriately and efficiently while remaining mindful of best value.
- Manage allocated budget following organisational strategy and operating practices, and reporting as necessary to the Council and to the CEO, ensuring that all expenses incurred by examiners are properly incurred and recorded for audit purposes.
- Contribute to the marketing of the organisation and its service, including the provision of articles, as required, to ‘Dance’ magazine, and support to events.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, participate in any other projects or tasks as required to support the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
- Experience of using effective performance and staff/resource management strategies to ensure the delivery of continuous improvement in customer service
- Proven ability to plan, deliver and support an examinations service, with a good understanding of meeting the needs of teachers across the United Kingdom
- Strong analytical problem solving skills to support effective decision making, using own initiative in particular in resolving difficulties experienced by staff/examiners
- Attitude of personal responsibility and accountability and a flexible and ‘can-do’ attitude towards the workplace
- Experience of working within a dance, awarding body, or arts environment
To apply please send a copy of your CV with a covering letter, clearly detailing how your experience meets the duties and person specification for this post, to: HR@istd.org
Applications close at 5pm on Friday, 26 January 2018. Interviews will be held w/c 5 February.
About the ISTD
The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD) is the leading professional body for dance professionals across multiple genres. It forms a community of around 7,500 active members around the world as students, teachers and examiners.
ISTD Head Office provides a wide variety of services to members, including: the opportunity to gain qualifications, access to sources of information and advice, and the chance to network and meet like-minded people at events. We provide additional products and services such as training and publications for members and non-members.
We have over 70 staff, most of whom work at our offices at Imperial House in Paul Street, London.
Other Conditions of Service
The ISTD is an equal opportunities employer. We operate a no smoking policy.