Inclusive Dance Practice at the ISTD
Resources for teachers and disabled children and young people
It is at the heart of the ISTD's mission to create opportunities and broaden access to dance to people from all walks of life and we are proud of our first research project to investigate the accessibility of ISTD syllabi for young disabled learners.
The following section aims to build on this major and very well received initiative and provides further guidance, practical advice and resources on inclusive dance practice for teachers keen to develop their practice or progress their career in inclusive dance as well as for disabled children and young people and their parents or carers.
The ISTD's commitment and role in inclusive dance
How to create an accessible dance space and build an inclusive dance practice
- Inclusive dance practice definition and drivers
- Legal background, requirements and safeguarding
- Creating an accessible dance space
- Communication needs in inclusive dance practice
- Assessment procedures for disabled children and young people
- Funding and volunteer recruitment in inclusive dance practice
Where to find providers and further information on inclusive dance
- Local councils
- National disability organisations
- Inclusive dance organisations
- Publications about access and inclusion in dance
- Accessing pathways to training for young disabled dancers - the ISTD's research study (includes a report for download and video footage of the 2019 Springboard event)
We hope the information is useful and would welcome hearing about your work or how we might continue to support you in developing your practice. Please send your feedback to Michaela Ellis, ISTD Artistic Projects Manager at email@example.com.