APEL for DDP, Licentiate and Fellowship
Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) for DDP, Licentiate and Fellowship
To grant applicants exemption from usual entry requirements for the ISTD Level 6 Diploma in Dance Pedagogy (DDP), Licentiate and Fellowship qualifications, this APEL scheme takes account of professional experience and unregulated qualifications. It is designed for mature professionals who
- do not have accredited qualifications which can be directly matched with ISTD qualifications
- are existing ISTD members who wish to progress through ISTD qualifications more quickly than stated in the entry requirements
- have qualifications (such as Licentiate or Fellowship) with another teaching organisation and who wish to take an equivalent qualification with the ISTD.
- Applicants should have at least 5 years professional performance, competition or teaching experience
- Applicants must be able to evidence significant experience in the genre in which they wish to take a qualification (e.g.: high level training, professional experience or equivalent qualification)
- Applicants should clearly state their reason for requesting APEL rather than going through the usual ISTD qualification route
- Applicants should provide a recent professional referee to evidence their teaching / professional dance experience
- Applications will be considered for entry into Level 6 Diploma in Dance Pedagogy, Licentiate or Fellowship qualifications only
- Applications will be considered by a panel comprising the ISTD’s Head of Education & Training and members of both, Dancesport and Theatre Faculties.
- Applicants will be invited to attend a short interview with the panel (either in person, by Skype or telephone) to discuss their application and future training interests.
- APEL Panel recommendations will be sent to the relevant Faculty Chair for comment and then to the Qualifications, Standards and Development Committee (QSDC) for approval.
- Applicants will be informed of the decision of the QSDC in writing and, if successful, this letter will serve as proof of exemption from the entry requirements to take the named examination within 3 years of the date of the letter.
- Unsuccessful applicants may be provided recommendations for further training. The decision of the QSDC is final.
Application Process and Fee
The application fee for APEL is £75 for members and £130 for non-members. To apply, please complete the APEL application form and submit by 31 April 2018 to
ISTD Education & Training Department
22/26 Paul Street
London EC2A 4QE
For any queries, please email the Higher Qualifications Co-ordinator at email@example.com