Auditions will take place on Saturday 17 June 2023 at Arts Educational School, Chiswick, start time 13:00. (Exact audition times will be confirmed nearer the time, however will not begin before 13:00).
If successful Scholars will need to be able to travel to London to attend weekly classes on Saturdays during term time.
Once you have read the information on this page and made payment online, you will receive a link in order to upload the candidate's details. If you do not upload your child's details your application cannot be processed.
Candidate eligibility criteria
Qualifications for entry, details of the audition and scholarship rules for 2023/24
1. The candidate must be a pupil of a member of the ISTD Cecchetti Classical Ballet Faculty and must be receiving their ballet training mainly in the Cecchetti method.
2. Candidates must have passed Grade 4 or Standard 5 in any method. Please note that students who were due to take their Grade 4 or Standard 5 exam but unable to do so because of the Covid lockdown are welcome to apply.
3. Applicants to be considered for the scholarship must be between 11 and 17 years of age on 1 September 2023.
4. Candidates who attend an audition will be expected to accept a scholarship if it is awarded.
The audition process
1. The audition will take place on Saturday 17 June 2023 at Arts Educational School, Chiswick, start time TBC.
2. Following payment of the audition fee, further information will be sent to the email address given in the registration process. This will include a link to upload the candidate's details and should be completed by the parent/guardian. If these details are not uploaded, the application cannot be processed.
3. The exact time for the audition and any further information, such as uniform guide, will be sent in a separate email following the closing date for applications.
4. Parents may not observe the auditions however are required to remain on site/nearby. No photography or videoing is to take place from the candidate, parent/guardian or teacher during the audition.
5. The results of the audition will be sent by email to the email address given for the parent/guardian. All auditionees will receive an outcome letter.
Rules and regulations
1. Scholarships are awarded for one academic year only, provided each term’s assessment is satisfactory. Classes must be prioritised over other activities and attendance will be taken into consideration during the assessment process. Scholars will be required to audition for any subsequent years should they wish to continue and meet the eligibility criteria.
2. Progress is monitored by the Scholarship teachers and final decisions concerning further scholarships are made at the compulsory re-audition each year.
3. If a Scholarship is awarded, Scholars must attend at least two ballet classes a week with their own teacher.
4. Regular attendance and punctuality are expected from all Scholars. Acceptable reasons for absence are illness, a teacher’s own annual show, examinations, or very special circumstances for which permission for absence must be obtained in advance. Failure to observe this rule will mean that the Scholarship may be withdrawn or suspended.
5. Any change of teacher and the result of any Cecchetti examinations must be reported to Miss Toogood.
6. Photographs / videos of classes and performances may occasionally be taken and used for promotional purposes by the ISTD and the Cecchetti Society Trust, on their websites and on social media channels, either in the year of the scholarship or in following years. By accepting a place, Scholars and their parents/guardians hereby agree and give consent for this. Adequate notice of filming will be given.
7. The organisers cannot accept responsibility for injury or illness howsoever caused during the audition process and if successful, during subsequent participation in classes.
8. Failure to follow the rules for the Scholarship, if awarded, may mean that it could be withdrawn or suspended at any time.
Additional costs of the Scholars scheme (for successful auditionees)
Although the scheme is a primarily a free programme, there are some additional costs involved and these are detailed below.
1. In addition to the regular weekly Classical Ballet scholarship classes, the Scholars programme includes twelve Contemporary classes held across the year to further students training. This incurs a nominal fee of £95 payable by the parent/guardian of the Scholar, before the beginning of the programme.
2. The uniform for Scholars is expected to be worn at all Scholarship classes and rehearsals. The official Scholars leotard must be purchased at a cost of £45. Specific footwear may also be recommended for use during the programme.
3. Scholars must be prepared to take part in any performance or demonstration, including any rehearsals required, which are organised by the Cecchetti Society Classical Ballet Faculty, ISTD. The Parent/guardian will be asked to contribute £60 towards the cost of any costume required and the costume will be retained by the Cecchetti Society Classical Ballet Faculty, ISTD.
By submitting this entry form and making payment for the audition the candidate and their parent/guardian hereby confirm that they have both read, accept and undertake to abide by the rules of the Cecchetti Classical Ballet Scholarship Scheme.