1. You are here:
  2. Home
  3. News
  4. #BestPractice: Insurance

#BestPractice: Insurance

#BestPractice: Insurance

15 January 2018

The final element in our series of articles about the new Professional Standards Scheme

The ISTD Professional Standards Scheme covers four main areas that form the foundation of a good dance teacher:

Professional Standards Icons

The scheme is being rolled-out in conjunction with our new-look DANCE-TEACHERS.ORG, a searchable directory where ISTD-qualified teachers can register their details and advertise their dance school business. For each completed element of the scheme, you will receive a badge against your online profile, showing potential customers that you take your responsibilities in the dance studio seriously.

How do I get started?
We recognise that some aspects of the Professional Standards Scheme may be unfamiliar. To help you get started, we have produced a series of articles, each focusing on one element. You can find previous articles in DANCE Magazine issues 481, 480 and 479.
More detailed guidance and template documents for each professional standard are downloadable from the ISTD website at


Insurance – do I need it?
Insuring your dance business is a legal requirement if you employ others but even a teacher operating solely can benefit from the financial protection that insurance provides against unforeseen events. What constitutes an unforeseen event? For example:

  • You or another suffers an injury on your school’s premises
  • A student blames you for their failing a prestigious audition and sues for the money paid for classes
  • Adverse weather damages your school and equipment, leaving you unable to teach for a number of weeks

No single type of insurance will protect you against the full extent of potential claims, so it is important to take out a suitable range of policies. In most cases, this can be done with a single insurer. Here we will briefly break down the most common types of
insurance that a dance teacher should have, depending on their circumstances.


Mandatory Insurance
If you employ another person for any kind of work at your school (dance teaching, reception duties, cleaning, etc.) then you must take out Employer’s Liability Insurance. This type of insurance will protect you in the event of claims made against you by an employee for injury or illness allegedly caused by working at your school. It will also cover the associated legal costs of defending yourself against such a claim.


Recommended Insurance
Public Liability Insurance provides protection for claims made against you by members of the public for injury or damage to their property.
Professional Indemnity Insurance covers you in the event of alleged professional negligence (eg a student is injured while attempting a dance move and alleges you did not adequately demonstrate it); accidental breach of copyright or confidentiality; defamation or libel; and loss of money, data or items for which you are responsible.
Buildings Insurance is important for anybody who owns their school’s premises and who wants to protect it against damage, adverse weather or natural disaster. Contents Insurance will provide cover for the contents of your premises against damage or theft.
If you find yourself in a situation where you cannot teach for an extended period of time (such as a result of natural disaster), then Business Interruption Insurance will protect you against the subsequent loss of income and the additional costs of getting yourself back on your feet, eg temporarily hiring an alternative venue and new equipment.
If you become ill or injured, Health Insurance can help with the costs of diagnoses and treatment. In some cases, it will also provide financial support during your time off from teaching.

What next?
For our UK members, the ISTD has an on-going business relationship with Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited (which is
underwritten by AXA Insurance Limited). Arthur J. Gallagher provides policies for our teachers, adjudicators, examiners and
dance school principals. Their insurance scheme offers the following standard essential covers:

  • Public Liability £5,000,000 (Higher limit available upon request)
  • Employer’s Liability £10,000,000
  • Free legal helpline
  • Financial loss cover up to £25,000

It can also provide the following optional covers:

  • Personal accident for teachers and pupils
  • All risks for property and computers
  • Business Interruption
  • Money

For more information, please contact the Arthur J. Gallagher team. Tel: 0345 073 8495, email: danny_king@ajg.com
We advise our non-UK members to seek out trusted insurance providers in their respective countries.

If you would like any further help or advice, the Education & Training Department is on hand at coursebookings@istd.org or on +44 (0)20 7377 1577. Alternatively, full guidance and template documents for all elements of the Professional Standards Scheme are downloadable from www.istd.org/courses-and-training.

Back to news listing