Modern Theatre Faculty - updates April-June 2013
10 April 2013
Syllabus news and notes for ISTD Modern Teachers
Hot off the press!! Teachers please note the following
New Revised Advanced 1 Modern will not become compulsory throughout the UK, Europe and Worldwide until January 2015. The following criteria for the new revised Advance 1 Modern exam will come into force from 1st May 2013:
• The Contraction and Abdominal Exercise will be seen on one side only and will be the teachers choice.
• The Falls will also be teachers choice of one side only.
• The Walks sequence will only be seen in the original staging of the choreography and no longer seen in canon effect. (Please note candidates will be expected to show this starting from both the right and left upstage corners.)
• Teachers choice of two out of the three Performance Sequences.
• Teachers choice of 1 of the amalgamations only.
• Solo dance arrangement length minimum 1.30 mins maximum 2 mins.
• Where ever possible could candidates please be prepared to ‘follow on’ from each other in exercises they perform solo. (Excluding Amalgamation).
All the remaining exercises will be seen as stated in the syllabus notes.
Modern Theatre Faculty Syllabus Notes
Boys Theatre Associate exam will be phased out and will no longer be examined by January 2014.
To clarify: After clapping the set rhythm in Grades 2, 3 and 4 without music.
The dance development should then last twice through the rhythm. i.e. 4 bars at Grade 2 and 8 bars at Grades 3 and 4.
In order to take the Silver Jazz Award candidates must have
achieved the Bronze Award, otherwise the result will be
withheld until the Bronze has been taken. Gold Jazz can
however be taken without Bronze or Silver if candidates
already hold the Intermediate qualification.
New Revised Advanced 1 Modern
During the ‘optional period’ between January 2013 and January 2015, male candidates may present the current Advanced 1 boys floor sequence instead of the new floor sequence.