Levels of Membership
The ISTD has a broad range of memberships categories to best suit our members' needs throughout the world, each of which are listed in the table below.
Please note that although we have changed some of our membership category names, our subscription fees remain the same and existing members will not be affected.
Information about our membership categories is listed below and the 2013 Membership Renewal Form for returning members can be downloaded by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page.
Full Teaching Membership
This membership is intended for those who are actively teaching. Members must ensure that their subscription is fully up-to-date before being allowed to enter candidates for examinations.
Who can join?
- Theatre Faculty members aged 18 and over who hold the ISTD Level 4 Diploma in Dance Education (DDE), Certificate in Dance Education (CDE), the Associate Diploma, Associate qualification or above.
- Dancesport Faculty members aged 18 and over who hold the Dancesport Associate qualification, Level 4 Diploma in Dance Education (DDE), Certificate in Dance Education (CDE) or above.
Please note: Full Teaching or Provisional Theatre members are able to enter any genre of candidates for examination. Provisional Dancesport members may teach candidates only under the guidance of a Full Dancesport member and any candidate taught by the Provisional Dancesport member must be entered for examination by the Full Dancesport member.
This is a full teaching membership suitable for two teachers residing at the same address.
The fee is one and a half times the Full Teaching subscription, but only one copy of DANCE magazine is sent to the address.
Provisional membership allows teachers to enter candidates for examinations.
UK members must be working towards their Level 3 Diploma in Dance Instruction (DDI) and Diploma in Dance Education (DDE). For International members, these members should be working towards gaining their Associate whilst under provisional membership.
Who can join?
Anyone aged 18 and over who is working towards their Full Teaching Membership qualification(s). Members in this category must achieve Full Teaching Membership within eight years. Applications for Provisional Membership are accepted from the following:
- Those holding any one or more of the following ISTD qualifications: Intermediate, Advanced 1, Advanced 2, Student Teacher or Level 3 Diploma in Dance Instruction (DDI), or Foundation in Dance Instruction (FDI).
- Those holding teaching qualifications with other examination boards.
- Those with no teaching qualifications held with any examination board. In order to be granted membership in this category a CV and covering letter must be submitted for approval by the Faculty Board.
Please note: this category was formerly called Pre-Registration.
Members who have held a Licentiate, Fellowship or Associate qualification in any ISTD Faculty and who have been an ISTD member for at least 35 years continuously may apply in writing to the Marketing & Membership Support Services Department for Life Membership. Life Members do not pay an annual subscription and continue to receive full benefits of their ISTD membership. A fee is required for continual receipt of DANCE magazine.
Non Teaching Membership
This is available to members who hold an Associate, Associate Diploma, DDE, CDE, Licentiate or Fellowship qualification and who are not actively teaching or entering candidates for examinations. This category is intended for those who wish to maintain their membership status but may need to take time off from teaching, e.g. for matenity leave or anyone who is taking a sabbatical from active teaching.
Please note: this category was formerly called Non-Active.
This is available to those who are currently not teaching, but intend upon a career in dance who hold Intermediate, Advanced 1, Advanced 2 or the FDI or DDI qualifications with a Theatre Faculty.