Welcome to this year’s UK and International Janet Cram Awards for 2023.
Watch the highlights from last year's event below
About this event
Finals class content information
Junior section: 10:00-12:30
Doors open at 09:00, please do not arrive earlier as doors will not be open. Competitors on stage at 09:45, class starts at 10:00. Solos commence directly after class with adjudication and prize giving after solos are completed. Competitors clear backstage by 12:45 and Junior competitors can leave the theatre with parents/teachers or can watch the next section but must be supervised by an adult in the auditorium.
Senior section: 13:00-15:45
Competitors to arrive and sign in from 11:30 and on stage by 12:45, class starts at 13:00. Solos commence directly after class with adjudication and prize giving after solos are completed. Competitors clear backstage by 16.00 and Senior competitors can leave the theatre with parents/teachers or can watch the next section but must be supervised by an adult in the auditorium.
Premier section: 16:15-19:15
Competitors to arrive and sign in by 15:00 and on stage at 16:00, class starts at 16:15. Solos commence directly after class with adjudication and prize giving after solos are completed. Competitors clear backstage by 19:30.
Premier competitors can arrive earlier and watch the previous sections for free but must be supervised by an adult whilst in the auditorium and front of house, as well as being signed in by 15:00.
All times are subject to change.
- Finals class content is led by industry teacher and supported by our class assistant.
- Teachers are asked to ensure that all competitors are fully warmed up before their class.
- After the classes and solos, there will be a short break for the panel to adjudicate and competitors will wait backstage. Prizes will then be awarded after the panel’s discussion on stage.
Junior class: Class will consist of the set Grade 4 Warm-Up and two contrasting free sequences will be taught which may include the following technical content:
- Circular Spring
- Side Kicks
- Front Kicks
- Spin Turns at high level
- Triple Runs
- Split Runs forwards
Junior solo: After the class, each Finalist will perform their prepared solo which MUST BE NO LONGER than 1min 30secs.
Senior class: Class will consist of the set Grade 5 Warm-Up and two contrasting free sequences will be taught which may include the following technical content:
- Single Pirouette at low level, inwards/outwards
- Side Kicks
- Front Kicks
- Any Dance vocabulary steps from Grades 5
Senior solo: After the class, each Finalist will perform their prepared solo which MUST BE NO LONGER than 1mins 45secs.
Premier class: Class will consist of the set Grade 6 Warm-Up and two contrasting free sequences will be taught which may include the following technical content:
- Any Dance vocabulary steps from Grade 6 Intermediate Foundation and Intermediate
- Double Pirouette at high or low level, inwards/outwards
Premier solo: Each Finalist will perform their prepared solo which MUST BE NO LONGER than 2 minutes.
Please ensure that all dance solos in all categories are in the modern theatre genre: lyrical, musical theatre (no singing) modern, jazz, or jazz theatre.
Teachers are recommended to steer away from contemporary and commercial solos.
Costumes are not required for the Heats/Finals classes or Final solo.
For the smooth and timely running of each class, competitors are kindly asked not to choreograph their entrance and exit to and from the stage.
Music for solos
Please upload the music for solos to the dropbox below by Monday 5th June 2023. Please ensure it is in an MP4 format, and labelled as follows:
[Competitor name], [category], [Dance teacher name]
e.g. Joe Bloggs, Junior, Joanna Bloggs on Dropbox.
Finals spectators admission fee is £10.
This year we have bespoke Janet Cram T-Shirts - Please add to your cart when booking your tickets and pick up from the front desk on 25 June.
Child's t-shirt: £12
Small - Age 5-6 (chest 28)
Medium - Age 7-8 (chest 30)
Large - Age 9-11 (chest 32)
X-Large - Age 12-13 (chest 34)
Adult's t-shirt: £16
Small - (chest 34-36)
Medium - (chest 38)
Large - (chest 40-42)
• Brian Slater will be our official photographer and videographer on the day and will be taking video content and photographs and the Society may use this content for any promotional purposes on the ISTD website, ‘Dance’ magazine and on our social media platforms in perpetuity.
• Teachers will be able to purchase photos from Brian Slater directly and will be emailed the appropriate weblink after the event.
• Use of recording equipment is NOT permitted on the day
Rules and regulations
- The qualifying examination for all competitors must have taken place between 1 January 2021 and 31 March 2023. There will be no exceptions to this rule.
- Competitors must have been trained at the ISTD School entering them, from 1 September 2022 unless written permission is given by the previous principal which will need to be given to the Head of Faculty Development.
- Teachers are responsible for their own pupils’ safety during this event.
- The ISTD accepts no responsibility for any loss, injury, or damage to you, persons around you, your property, or your identity.
- Anyone competing at this event does so at their own risk.
- The ISTD will not accept any responsibility for any injury or situation.
- Teachers are responsible for Under 18s and will ensure that parent/guardian consent has been obtained for them to appear on the recorded footage, these competitors must be always supervised by an adult.
- All of the free sequences have been choreographed by industry faculty artists and vetted by our Modern Theatre Committee to be in line with each level as stated above.
We regret that no refunds are payable once tickets are purchased and payment is received.
However, in the event that the ISTD cancels the event, a full refund will be processed.
The ISTD is not liable for any additional costs incurred, including, but not limited to, travel or accommodation costs.
- Please observe professional courtesy and if any teacher has concerns that need to be raised during the competition day, please email email@example.com
- Any complaint regarding eligibility for this competition must be submitted to the Head of Faculty Development in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org to be dealt with in the appropriate manner.
- The integrity of the teacher is relied upon to ensure that the behaviour and conduct of their competitors on the day of the heats and finals are professional and do not disturb the enjoyment of others and the smooth running of the event.
- Adjudicators’ decisions are final and no correspondence regarding their decisions will be permitted.
We are very lucky and honoured to welcome back “DANCEWEAR CENTRAL” who are sponsoring our Cram Awards again with £250 e-voucher for each of our Winners in the Junior, Senior and Premier categories.
With an e-voucher of £150 to our winner of the Elliot Clarke Teacher Award and £100 e-voucher for our two teacher commendations. Dancewear Central are also offering a special discount code for all teachers and parents to use on their website, please scan the code below.
Dancewear Central is the leading specialist in dancewear throughout the UK. Dance is the perfect way to express yourself, and that’s why at Dancewear Central they only stock quality dancewear that will give you the freedom and comfort to move and perform. They also stock a comprehensive range of examination-standard dancewear. All Finalist Dance teachers and parents can sign up for free and also enjoy the discount code.
This year we are also supporting mental wellbeing and have partnered with “THE BUTTERFLY MIND” who deliver workshop for pupils and teacher training for all aspects of mental wellbeing. Please see below for further information. “The Butterfly Mind” are offering discounts to teachers for mental wellness training for students /pupils and teacher training.
Led by Director, Kim Rogers, who is also an established dance teacher, Kim has developed specific mental health workshops and teacher training both online and live, for dance teachers and dance students, looking at subjects like:
• Healthy and unhealthy sense of comparison and how you can manage this
• Looking at performance pressures and how to lighten these stressors (shows/exams/competitions)
• Learning about anxiety, what is it and how to help your students overcome this.
All Finalist Dance teachers can use this discount code above for student workshops or to attend the live teacher training days or online training.