1. You are here:
  2. Home
  3. FAQs

Found 12 results

Are there any cancellation fees?

Charges apply for cancellations six weeks prior to the examination date of £100 per day.

Can Advanced 1 and Advanced 2 candidates be examined in a private session?

For traditional examination sessions, 60% of the exam day must be made up of vocational candidates (this includes Intermediate  Foundation and Intermediate levels).  There are no restrictions for remote examinations, however, please provide alternative examination dates for us to work with.

Can any school become an ADC?

If your school is interested in becoming an Approved Dance Centre, they would need to offer the Level 4 DDE. If your school is interested in offering the DDE please contact Applications to become an ADC are welcome at any time. If you want to deliver our graded and vocational graded examinations and class tests, your school does not need to become an ADC. Instead, your school must have a qualified Society teacher with a current and appropriate level of membership. 

Can candidates perform in costume?

Yes. There is no uniform required to enter the Challenge - the only thing that matters is that candidates can move comfortably and safely.

Can I cancel my examination session?

Yes, however, if you cancel an exam day within six weeks of your exam date then you will be liable for a £100 cancellation fee for each day cancelled. Please be aware that examiners make travel and accommodation arrangements several months in advance of your exam day. Cancelling your exam session at any point after they have been appointed to you, therefore, causes considerable inconvenience. We would kindly ask that you avoid cancellations wherever possible.

Can I make any amendments to my timetable?

Candidates can be deleted at any point prior to submitting your timetable and you will not be charged for their fee. Once the timetable has been submitted, amendments can be made up to five working days prior to the exam by emailing the exams department.
Once your amendment has been made you will need to log onto your session to make any additional payments due on the Fees tab. Failure to do so will delay your results and certificates being issued.
Once a timetable has been submitted candidates may only be withdrawn from a timetable. No refund will given for withdrawn candidates unless accompanied by the application for refund form and a medical certificate, in which you may be entitled to 50% of the exam fee. Please note this will only be granted to those cancellation forms where the refund is received at HQ up to four weeks after the examination date.  

Can my centre only offer the Dance Practice units?

The short answert is no.

A Centre is approved for the full award not parts thereof and therefore all candidates registered through an ADC must complete their qualification, including all relevant examinations, through that centre.

The Centre can choose to deliver Module 2 units using the Course Book as a text book for seminars, lectures, tutorials or as a distance learning package with an Approved Distae Learning Tutor. Whichever route is chosen by the ADC, candidates must be registered, entered for exams and sit their exams at the

Do I need a pianist for Ballet exams?

Imperial Ballet

CD&'s may be used for class and graded examinations only. A pianist must be used for all vocational examinations. Music for the graded 3 - 6 is available from the ISTD shop, by clicking here. The existing music for all other levels remains unchanged.

Cecchetti Ballet

CD's may be used for Cecchetti Ballet class examinations and graded exams. Teachers may select their own music for class examinations, apart from the music for the improvisation section. The improvisation music will be provided by the examiner on a CD or iPod. For graded exams, the music can be obtained from the ISTD shop. A pianist will still be required for vocational examinations and performance awards. Music for the dance may be played on audio equipment and this should be operated by the pianist.

Do tasks have to be completed in order?

No. As further tasks are released, candidates will be able to enter one, two or all three tasks in any order. For now, dancers can enter the ‘Inside’ dance task.

Once all three tasks are released, completing all three tasks will mean the Challenge is complete.

How do I become a Dancesport Faculty teacher?

Prospective teachers in the Dancesport Faculty have a number of progression routes to follow. Outside the European Union, student teachers follow Route B with the initial teaching qualification being the Associate, which you will need to complete in every genre you wish to enter candidates for examinations. You may also choose to start your training by becoming a Student Teacher within your chosen dance style; although this is not a prerequisite of undertaking the Associate qualification, it is helpful preparation for the examination.

At present, prospective teachers within the European Union have two possible progression routes to follow. The two routes offer candidates different types of qualifications, firstly our accredited qualifications – the DDI and the DDE – and secondly the Associate qualification, the route available to those outside the European Union.

As prospective teachers have the opportunity to choose their own professional development route, it is worth taking the time to consider the two options, looking at what commitments you have, what type of teaching qualification you wish to achieve at the end of your training and in what setting you are going to teach.

If you live within the European Union and wish to follow the accredited route, Route A, it is recommended that you complete your DDI and DDE in every genre you wish to teach students. These teaching qualifications are accredited by the Regulatory Bodies in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (Ofqual, DCELLS and CEA) at Level 3 and Level 4, respectively, on the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF). These qualifications develop the practical teaching skills required to become a recognised, qualified and fully rounded dance teacher. Their unitised approach allows flexibility for students to continue working whilst studying towards the qualifications.

If you wish to follow the non-accredited route, Route B, it is recommended that you complete the Associate in every genre you wish to enter students into examinations. You can start with the Student Teacher within your chosen dance style, which is not a prerequisite of undertaking the Associate qualification but is helpful preparation.

Routes for teachers and student teachers are set out in the overview below. Those within the European Union should follow Route A or B, and those outside, Route B.

It is worth noting that once you have embarked upon either Route A or Route B, you still have the possibility to cross over and continue on the other route if you live in the European Union. For example, once you have achieved your Associate, Licentiate or Fellowship, you would be able to work towards your Route A qualifications in that relevant genre by applying for our Accredited Prior (Experiential) Learning (AP(E)L) procedure.

How do I become an Theatre Faculty teacher within the European Union?

For candidates looking to become Theatre Faculty teachers within the European Union.

Entrants must be 17 or above in the academic year they register

Further Details
This qualification gives prospective dance teachers a solid grounding in the skills and knowledge needed to teach dance in a safe environment. The units covered include teaching skills with a focus on observation, the promotion of health and safety, the attainment of an Intermediate qualification in their dance genre, and the dance genre specific study of dance practice and the relationship between music and dance again focusing on their dance genre.

Successful candidates move on to the Level 4 Diploma in Dance Education (DDE) and may apply for Student Membership of the Society.

For further information on this qualification please click here.